Portencross Castle is situated overlooking the Firth of Clyde near West Kilbride in Ayrshire. It is a scheduled ancient monument, a recognition of its national importance.
“It is said that Portencross Castle was the last resting place of the great kings of Scotland. Legend has it that they were transported via the castle on their way to Iona, for burial. They lay in state at Portencross Castle for a short time.”
Cathedral of the Isles
College Street, Millport, Scotland
The Cathedral of The Isles, Millport, is Britain’s smallest Cathedral and dates from 1851. It was built on ground owned by the Boyle family, and its founder, George Frederick Boyle, later became 6th Earl of Glasgow. It is one of a group of buildings comprising two residential buildings (colleges) and a collegiate church designed by the famous English architect William Butterfield. Planned as a theological college for the Scottish Episcopal Church, in its early days it was seen as a “new” Iona, and in 1876 it was consecrated Cathedral of the Isles.
Millport, Isle of Cumbrae
There’s so much for everyone on the Island of Great Cumbrae so why not come across in 2015 and decide for yourself. From sailing, canoeing, wind-surfing and golf for the sports enthusiasts to leisurely walks, bowling or just relaxing on our safe, sandy beaches – you’ll find it all within the island. It’s just an 8.5 minute ferry crossing from Largs on the Ayrshire mainland and Largs is is just an hour away from Glasgow by car, train or bus, and a bus service meets every ferry arrival to whisk you in to Millport town centre.
Millport is easily reached from Largs. Take the Caledonian MacBrayne ferry from Largs Pier to Cumbrae Slip, then board the connecting bus to Millport.
For the Cathedral, ask to be set down at College Street.
Hill St, Ardrossan, North Ayrshire KA22 8HQ
Ardrossan Castle is situated upon a rocky hill, which gives it its name, made up of ard, meaning height, and rossan, a rocky promontory. The present ruins are on the site of an earlier castle owned by the Barclay family. By the thirteenth century it had passed to the Ardrossan family.
The castle has long been deemed a distinctive feature of the town of Ardrossan. It was included, for example, in the tour book from 1847 titled Sylvan’s Pictorial Handbook to the Clyde and its Watering-Places by Thomas and Edward Gilks. There the castle is described as a marker of regional identity and subject antiquarian interest, from which beautiful views of the ocean can be seen. The Gilks state that Ardrossan was originally called “Castle Crags”, but was renamed Ardrossan after the family who owned it. At the time of writing the castle was the property of the Eglintoun family, though it was already ruined, and was adjacent to an old churchyard.